The City of Sugar Creek provides water, sewer and trash utility services. Through the utility department web page, you can find out more information on the City provided services.

The City of Sugar Creek Utility Billing department was contacted by a few residents regarding emails they received reminding them their utility payment is due. These emails are not from the Sugar Creek Utility department. The City will never send you an email regarding your utility account unless you have been in prior contact with us and we indicated you would be receiving an email. In addition, we will never contact you to collect your payment via credit card over the phone. All utility bills are due by the eighteenth of every month and are payable at City Hall during business hours, through our night drop box, or online at www.officialpayments.com.

New Service

If you are a newcomer to the City, please complete the application for utility service provided on this page. All new utility accounts will be charged a deposit ranging from $50-$150.  The City of Sugar Creek accepts checks, cash or credit card payments in the office.  For any questions about the form please contact the Utility Clerk at (816) 252-4400 ext. 1121.


103 South Sterling Avenue
Sugar Creek, MO 64054


City of Sugar Creek utility bills are mailed monthly, and are due on the 18th of every month. A late fee is assessed on delinquent utility bills.


Individuals may pay for their bill by check, cash, money order or credit/debit card.  Please include the top portion of your bill with your payment.

By Check

Payments may be made by check please make out to City of Sugar Creek.

Online payments

To pay by credit card online please visit www.officialpayments.com
Please click here for online utility payment instructions: Instruction Guide for Online Payments

By Credit cards

We do accept credit/debit cards in the office. Please note that there is a 2.25% service fee.

Non-Sufficient Funds

Non-sufficient fund (NSF) charge is $25. An NSF fee will also be assessed for any automatic back withdrawals and any bad online payments.

Resources & Applications

  • Landlord Tenant guide
  • New Utility application
  • Discontinue Form
  • Payment arrangement Form

For further information, please call or email our department.