You can purchase online Sugar Creek 2011 and newer Motor Vehicle Accident Reports through the following link:


Educates people about disaster preparedness for hazards that may impact their area, and trains them in basic disaster response skills such as fire safety, search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations.  Using the training learned in the classroom and during exercises, CERT members can assist others in their neighborhood or workplace following an event when professional responders are not immediately available to help.  CERT members also are encouraged to support emergency response agencies by taking a more active role in emergency preparedness projects in their community.

Following a major disaster, first responders who provide fire and medical services will not be able to meet the demand for these services.  Factors such as numbers of victims, communication failures, and road blockages will prevent people from accessing emergency services they have come to expect at a moments notice through 911.  People will have to rely on each other for help in order to meet their immediate life saving and life sustaining needs.  CERT members will self-activate after a disaster, such as a tornado, flood, or severe ice storm, to assist their family and neighbors.

CERT members have the opportunity to attend disaster response training designed by FEMA and Homeland Security, and to participate in hands on training scenarios.  For more information, please contact the Sugar Creek Police or Fire Departments.


The Sugar Creek Explorers program was founded by the Boy Scouts of America.  The program is for those at least 14 years of age and/or finished with the 8th grade.  If you have thought about becoming a Fireman or Police Officer, this program would be perfect for you.  It is open to both boys and girls. 

What do the Explorers do?

They will obtain CPR Certification, do hands on drills with the fireman, such as learning how to use the hose properly and safely.  Simulated fires will be used in many drills.  They will learn the use of the &ldquoJaws of Life&rdquo, and many other skills.  On the Police side, they will learn fingerprinting, crime scene investigation, handcuffing, traffic control and much more.  There are several events that the explorers participate in, using their traffic control knowledge, and using first aid.  The Explorers work events such as Christmas in the Sky at Longview Lake, the Slavic Festival in Sugar Creek, and many other events.

The Explorers meet every Tuesday 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm.

For more information, you may contact Officer Mika at 816-252-7058.


Redemption of your pet:  Sugar Creek Police Department can provide information on impounded animals and release them.

The City of Sugar Creek does not have a shelter.  The city contracts with the Independence Animal Shelter.

For the release of your pet, you will need to respond to the Sugar Creek Police Department  for any release forms or summons.  There is a pick up fee paid at that same time you respond to the Animal Shelter. 

GPSPCA Animal Shelter number is 816-621-7722 for fees and hours of operations. Location 21001 E State Route 78, Indep., MO. 64057

You may also download a form to report a lost or found animal and drop it by the Sugar Creek Police Department.

Other helpful numbers:

  • 816-252-2680 Paws
  • 816-333-0020 Lost Dog Registry
  • 816-761-8151 Wayside Waifs
  • 913-432-7548 Animal Haven
  • 816-228-3766 Burr Oak Nature Center
  • 816-513-8960 Lakeside Nature Center
  • 816-769-3106 Catch It Wildlife & Pest COntrol, Inc.
  • 816-254-0067 Animal Damage Control by Trapper Jon


Is there a leash law in Sugar Creek?
Yes, for dogs, they must be kept under restraint at all times.
Is there an ordinance regarding barking dogs?

Yes.  No owner shall allow a dog or cat to bark, howl, meow or cry, disturbing a reasonable man.

Is there an ordinance regarding dogs and cats defecating on other's property?

Yes.  Should your pet defecate on someone else's property, the waste must immediately be removed and disposed of in a sanitary manner.

How many animals are allowed per household?

The city allows 2 pets per household.

Are dogs and cats required to be vaccinated against rabies and also required to wear their rabies tags?
Yes.  Any dog or cat over four months of age must be vaccinated against rabies annually by a licensed veterinarian and must wear the rabies tag at all times.
Are dogs and cats required to have a city license?
Are female dogs and cats required to be confined within a building while in heat?

Yes, they must be confined within a building in such a manner that they do not attract or are not accessible to other dogs and cats.

Do we take unwanted pets for adoption?
No.  We do not provide that service.  We can provide you with a number to organizations that might be of assistance.
Do we take unwanted pets for euthanasia?
No.  If you wish to have your pet euthanized, you need to contact a vet of your choice.  If however, your pet is currently in a shelter for observation after biting someone, and you wish to have it euthanized after the observation period, we will provide that service for a fee.
Do we trap domesticated animals?

Yes.  We have a limited number of cat traps that we loan out to our citizens.

Do we trap widlife?
No.  We will gladily provide you with some phone numbers from a list of trappers.  However, there could be a fee for their services.
Will we respond for animals you capture in a trap set by you?
If a dog or cat is caught in a borrowed or self owned trap, we will respond to pick the animal up.  If wildlife is caught in the trap, it is the responsibility of the resident or business to release the animal.